Friday, May 10, 2013

Performance Art: Live Art

Art that is created for arts sake. The artist becomes the piece, so much so, that in my opinion, ego becomes minor compared to the message being portrayed in the work.

In both Rubbish and Strange fruit, I was memorized by the dedication that Tom Geoghean had to his message. WHen looking at Live art examples, I automatically put myself in the artist shoes, trying to imagine the motivation behind such intensity. I think that is one of the most important point for any artist doing live work; the point of being so detached from the experience, yet so committed allows for the viewer to "take your place' in the experience, thus the work resonates with many.

Before viewing Geogheans work, I just kept thinking about how I would be humiliated, without a doubt, if I had to do live art. Then I saw the strength of this artist in Rubbish, as he remained still, hidden in what appeared to be a pile of garbage on the side walk. Letting people poke him, and kick him, and of course investigate his human hand hanging from the pile, and keep walking.

Even more, I was taken back by Strange Fruit. He was influenced by the Billie Holiday song Strange Fruit, which is one of the most powerful and haunting songs of the era... EVER. She songs about black bodies hanging from trees, and he dresses himself in a Full white outfit and suspends himself from a tree in a park! '
 Geoghean is flawless in his choice of location to match his subject matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment